Event From 1898 To 1958
In 1868, the area being a notorious slum, Angela Burdett-Coutts had Columbia Market built as a covered food market with 400 stalls. But for various reasons it was not a success, and after being used as warehouse and workshops the market closed in 1886. Immediately east of the market Coutts also built the residential Columbia Dwellings, completed 1859-62, which had its own church, swimming pool and baths and a laundry, all designed by Henry Darbishire. The name 'Columbia' was chosen in recognition of the bishopric of British Columbia, founded by Burdett-Coutts in 1857.
Drawings and photos show some impressive buildings, but despite their quality they were demolished in 1958. The modernist tower block Sivill House and other low-rise housing replaced the Coutts buildings. The new streets having names such as Old Market Square and Georgina Gardens.
Both this 1916 map and this 1895 map show the location very well. Using current street names: the development filled the site south of Baroness Road and north of Columbia Road. The market was between the eastern edge of the nursery school and the shortest N-S stump of Baroness Road. The residential blocks filled the space east of this stump of Baroness Road across to the N-S footpath in Ravenscroft Park.