Town located on the Itz River in Germany. First mentioned in a document in 1056. From 1699 to 1826, it was one of the two capitals of the duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, and from 1826 to 1918 it was the capital of the duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. It joined with Bavaria by popular vote in 1920.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk