Chelsea Physic Garden
Place From 1973
Originally established in 1673 as The Apothecaries Garden. The word ‘physic’ in this context means ‘healing’. In 1983 the garden became a registered charity and opened to the public for the first time. It is the oldest English rock garden devoted to alpine plants, and contains the largest fruiting olive tree in Britain and probably the most northernmost outdoor growing grapefruit tree.