Bryant and May - Fairfield Works
Group From 1861 To 1979
Halfway along Fairfield Road stands the old Bryant and May Factory. A Grade II listed building designed by Holman and Goodrham. The brick entrance includes a depiction of Noah’s Ark and the word "Security" used as a trademark on the matchboxes. It used to be the largest match factory in the UK and at full production in 1911, the site employed more than 2,000 women and girls. It was the site of the Matchgirls Strike. See also Gladstone's statue at Bow Church.
The factory closed in 1979 when the business transferred to Liverpool and the building is now a gated private apartment complex known as the Bow Quarter.