A market has existed in Market Square since at least 1205. From Bromley Borough Local History Society: "The Bromley Market House, in the Market Square was a timber building with a red tile roof. The first floor meeting room could hold 200 people and was also used as a court room. It seems likely it was built by Peter Burrell who also built Plaistow Lodge (now Quernmore) and who was married to the heiress of Langley Park. The date of this picture is uncertain, but would have to be between 1730 and 1863 when it was demolished to make way for the first Town Hall."