mobile nav


Broadway Palace

Building  From 1912  To 1944

Categories: Cinema

From Cinema Treasures : "... built for and operated by Browning, Hillier & Batley.  The name was changed to Broadway Palace Theatre in around 1936 and the operator was given as A.H. Batley, one of the original operators. It was the first cinema in the area to install sound, when in 1929 a Cinephone system was fitted.  The Broadway Palace Theatre suffered extensive damage by a German rocket bomb in 1944 which destroyed the front of the building and also hit the Methodist Central Hall on the opposite side of Mitcham Road. It never re-opened as a cinema and after the end of the war a new plain front was put on the building and it was converted into retail use."

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Broadway Palace

Information Commemorated at