Group    From 1888 

Brilliant Sign Company

Categories: Commerce, Industry

Signage company. It was named after their concept called the 'brilliant letter'. This comprised a pressed copper sheet with a v-shaped cross section so as to imitate the classic incised wooden fascia letter (Hope you're keeping up). It was then fixed behind painted glass by way of flanges with shellac, and covered with lead foil to seal it hermetically from the weather.

In 1907 they built Paragon Works in Stowe Road, Shepherds Bush - a purpose-built 3 acre factory site.

Because of management problems, the company was wound up in 1976, but was revived in 1999 on a smaller scale.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Brilliant Sign Company

Commemorated ati

Brilliant Sign Company

On this site stood the Paragon Works of the Brilliant Sign Company. Formed in...

Read More

Brilliant Sign Company Jubilee

The plaque is in the archway, on the right.

Read More

Other Subjects

White Horse Cellars at Hatchett's Hotel

White Horse Cellars at Hatchett's Hotel

This building is still at 66-68 Piccadilly, on the north-east of the junction with Dover Street.  Architect: Weatherley and Jones. From British History (written in 1878, just 10 years before Selby...

Building, Commerce, Food & Drink, Transport

1 memorial
Leo Bonn

Leo Bonn

A merchant banker. Aged about 70 he started to lose his hearing. Founded what is now the Royal National Institute for Deaf People at his London home. Leopold Bernhard Bonn was born on 3 August 185...

Person, Commerce, Social Welfare, France, Germany

1 memorial
John Reynolds Roberts

John Reynolds Roberts

Shopkeeper and philanthropist. Born Camberwell. Aged 17 he and his brother Thomas, left their home in Newington Green and began work in London as errand boys in a drapers. In 1870 he opened a store...

Person, Commerce, Philanthropy

2 memorials
Red Lion, Kilburn

Red Lion, Kilburn

Closed Pubs has a good picture of the current building and gives: "The Red Lion was situated at 34 Kilburn High Road. This pub was known as The Westbury at time of closure in 2012. Rebuilt in the l...

Place, Commerce, Community / Clubs, Food & Drink

1 memorial