Bridewell Palace / Prison
Building From 1515 To 1864
Built by Henry VIII, who lived there 1515-23. It deteriorated so that Edward VI gave it to the City of London who then used it as a prison, hospital (actually school) and workrooms. "Bridewell" was a term adopted by other London prisons.
The picture shows an early 19th-century imaginary reconstruction of Bridewell Palace c. 1660, showing the entrance to the Fleet River.