mobile nav

Subject

Blackfriars gatehouse

Building 

Categories: Property

This was initially part of Blackfriars Priory.

From St Etheldreda: From about 1590 onwards the gatehouse become a building where Catholics secretly worshipped and it was repeatedly raided by government priest-hunters. Purchased by Shakespeare in 1613, though there is doubt about whether he ever lived here. The St Etheldreda website has evidence about this property that suggests Shakespeare was, late in life, a closet Catholic. Shakespeare left the property to his daughter, Susanna.

The picture source tells the story of a building which was probably this gatehouse. In 1623, 7 years after Shakespeare's death, the attic floor collapsed during a Jesuit service which was attended by 2-300 people. 90 died.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Blackfriars gatehouse

Information Commemorated at

71159

Shakespeare's house - Blackfriars

On 10th March 1613 William Shakespeare purchased lodgings in the Blackfriars ...

Read More