Place From 1082 To 1540
Benedictine Priory of St Saviour at Bermondsey occupied ground between present day Bermondsey Street, Abbey Street and Grange Walk. Built on the site of a previous monastery from before 715, it was founded by Alwinus Child as a Priory of the Order of Cluny with a royal licence and flourished from the 12th to 15th century. Sold off and demolished after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. St Mary Magdelene church contains two carved stone capitals of mediæval date which are thought to be part of the fabric of the Abbey.