Bearman's Department Store
Building From 1898 To 1983
Opened by Frank Bearman on the site of a former vicarage. By 1906 he had purchased a nearby furniture shop, and in 1910 opened an arcade to match the larger department stores in London. It claimed to have the first escalators outside London.The company was sold to the London Co-operative Society in 1962, who continued to run it until its closure. The building was demolished and replaced by a branch of Matalan.
The photo shows an old advertising sign displayed at Leytonstone tube station.