Building    From 1886  To 1975

Bank of England, Law Courts branch

Categories: Commerce

This building is at 194 Fleet Street, between the Law Courts and Chancery Lane.

From 1826 the Bank of England had branches around the country. The Law Courts branch was designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield in association with A. E. Street (son of G. E. Street) and constructed 1886-8.

This remained a branch of the BoE until 1975 when it was occupied by the Bristol & West Building Society. In the 1990s it became a pub, which it still (2021) is: The Old Bank of England.

From Claxity: "According to a 1963 Bank of England publication, “This branch is primarily concerned with the business of the Supreme Court and was opened following suggestions by the Lord Chancellor and the various legal societies.” "

2022: We thank Ken Cook for pointing out an error on this page, now corrected.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Bank of England, Law Courts branch

Commemorated ati

Old Cock Tavern - Fleet Street - lost plaque

Ye Olde Cock Tavern, est. circa 1554. The Cock was opened in 1888 with the fi...

Read More

Other Subjects

Crunchy the Credit Crunch Monster
1 memorial
Fyffes Group Ltd

Fyffes Group Ltd

Trader at Covent Garden Market at its original site.

Group, Commerce

1 memorial
Swan Wharf & Swan Inn

Swan Wharf & Swan Inn

In the 19th century Swan Wharf was the site of a brewery and public house 'Swan Inn', destroyed by fire in 1871. The image, an 1878 photo by William Reid, shows the tower of All Saints behind. Th...

Building, Commerce, Community / Clubs, Food & Drink

1 memorial
Samuel Palmer

Samuel Palmer

1857 joined his brother, George, in the family biscuit firm, Huntley and Palmers, based in Reading. Ran the London office and lived with his family in Hampstead in a house close to the site of the ...

Person, Commerce, Food & Drink, Industry

1 memorial