Group    From 1695 

Aske's Hospital

Categories: Education, Social Welfare

About the building, from Shoreditch College: "The first building on {this site} was Aske's Hospital or the Haberdashers' Alms Houses, erected 1690-93 to designs of Robert Hooke ... for the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers, who were left a legacy of £30,000 by a member, Robert Aske, to provide a building for the accommodation of twenty "decayed members" of the Company. .... {drawing held by the V&A} according to James Elmes (Metropolitan Improvements 1828), it was very spacious, being four hundred feet long, with an ambulatory in front stretching some three hundred and forty feet under a colonnade. ... Hooke's building was pulled down and rebuilt by the Haberdashers' Company between 1825 and 1826. The new building, much smaller than the original, is a good example of the Greek taste in Regency architecture. It is distinguished by its fine central Doric portico flanked by plain stock brick wings. The architect, D.R. Roper (c.1773-1855), had made a name for himself as a surveyor in his valuations of property in connection with the formation of Regent Street. Elmes ... was critical of Roper's portico "with its frieze emasculated of its many triglyphs, and a substitution of hybrid wreaths," but he generally approved of "the present neat structure"."

The hospital (almshouses and school) was built to house twenty freemen and twenty sons of freemen of the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers. Rebuilt 1826. In 1873-5 the almshouses were redeveloped to provide more space for the school. 1898 the school moved away: girls to Acton and boys to Cricklewood.

In 1907 Shoreditch College moved in and became Shoreditch Technical Institute and then Shoreditch Training College. It moved to Coopers Hill in 1951. An off-shoot of the Institute, the London College of Furniture, started here in 1964 and then moved to Commercial Road as part of London Guildhall University.

Note the statue on the lawn shown in the 1828 image. This is probably the one moved to Hatcham in 1908. We've found two other almshouse statues that have moved - see Dick Whittington.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Aske's Hospital

Commemorated ati

Aske's Hospital - left - 1828

Note that the plaque says that not only was a new building erected but also t...

Read More

Aske's Hospital - right - 1875

This plaque summarises the history of the Hospital and celebrates the opening...

Read More

Other Subjects

John Milton

John Milton

Poet, essayist, playwright, historian, and diplomat. Born in the house called The Spread Eagle in Bread Street, Cheapside. Left London to study in Cambridge but found all the dull debates in Latin ...

Person, Education, Poetry, Seriously Famous

14 memorials
Alistair David Berkley

Alistair David Berkley

Alistair David Berkley was born on 11 April 1959, the eldest of the three children of John Barrie Berkley (1927-2018) and Jean C. Berkley née Blair (b.1930). His birth was registered in the 2nd qua...

Person, Architecture, Education, Law, Tragedy, Scotland

1 memorial
First Belgian School WW1

First Belgian School WW1

By June 1915, the population of Belgian refugees in Britain rose to 265,000. But we couldn't find anything on the web about the school in Cale Street.

Group, Children, Education, Belgium

1 memorial
East 15 Acting School

East 15 Acting School

Founded by Margaret Walker after she worked with Joan Littlewood at the Theatre Royal in Stratford, and had the same ethos of inclusivity and radical work. It was named after the postal district of...

Group, Education, Theatre

1 memorial
Ragged School Museum

Ragged School Museum

In 1877 a ragged school was set up by Dr Barnardo at 46-50 Copperfield Road, E3, in a group of three canal-side warehouses. The school closed  in 1908 when there were enough schools in the area run...

Group, Education, History, Philanthropy

1 memorial