mobile nav

Subject

38 Brunswick Square

Picture source: Marchmont Association pdf

38 Brunswick Square

Building  From 1804  To 1939

Categories: Property

This 4-storey Georgian house was built by Charles Mayor under the supervision of James Burton in 1804. The only other notable former resident was John Thomas (1818-32), Governor of the Foundling Hospital (1818). Demolished in 1939 to make way for the School of Pharmacy.

The sketch is from 1938. Nos.39 & 40 (to the right) were demolished in 1936 to make way for the new Foundling Hospital building (now the museum). This image is rather puzzling - the front door at first seems to belong to the house on the left, but that would leave the house on the right, no 38, without a door, and no sign that it ever had one. This front door and the position of the chimney stacks suggest that no 38 occupied the right-most 3 bays, but this is contradicted by the clear vertical dividing line. Either we or the artist has got something wrong. Unless the demolition of numbers 39 and 40 included the right-most bay of number 38, including the front door. Is that possible?

Our factual information and the image come from a splendidly informative pdf issued by the Marchmont Association when the plaque was installed.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
38 Brunswick Square

Information Commemorated at

73416

Bloomsbury Group - Brunswick Square

Keynes's brother Geoffrey also lived here. The house was occupied by at least...

Read More