Slightly smaller than life-size, we believe this statue was created by John Carew sometime between 1844 and the 1851 Great Exhibition or shortly after. We believe it was a replacement for another statue of Whittington that was installed on the front lawn of the Whittington Almshouses in Archway, and that that statue is lost. See there for our evidence.
Site: Whittington statue - Felbridge (2 memorials)
RH19, Eastbourne Road, Whittington College
In 1966 The Whittington Almshouses, or College, moved from Archway to this site within the grounds of the former Felbridge Place. They provide care for over 60 elderly residents. This statue of their founder moved with them and initially it was placed close to the road. It suffered some damage and over its time here some fingers and some toes have had to be replaced. It has also been painted and then had the paint removed. It now sits safely in an internal courtyard surrounded by residential buildings. The statuette, also at Felbridge, is kept inside the church under a glass dome.
The College have asked us to make it clear that they do not have the resources to encourage visitors, the statues are not on public display and that we were only allowed in having made special arrangements, for which we are extremely grateful.