Plaque: Old Westminster Library - foundation stone
Erection date: 1892
Westminster Public Library
The united parishes of St Margaret and St John the Evangelist adopted the Library Act of 1855 on the 19th May 1856, and purchased the property of Westminster Literary Scientific and Mechanics' Institution situated on the opposite side of this street thus being the first London parish to carry the Act into execution. This building was erected in 1892.
Henry W. Budd
R. E. H. Goffin
H. O. Hamborg
C. Spencer Smith
H. N. B. Spink MLSB
Charles D. Steel
Henry E. Poole - Secretary and Librarian
This stone was laid by H. N. B. Spink
Site: Old Westminster Library - 6 heads (7 memorials)
SW1, Great Smith Street
The foundation stone is immediately to the right of the central entrance.
Above the entrance: "Westminster Public Library, The united parishes of St Margaret and St John the Evangelist, AD 1893". In 1985 this building was threatened with demolition and was only saved by a campaign which brought about the Thorney Island Society.
The Listing identifies the heads for us, and we've numbered them left to right.