Plaque: Wash-house foundation stone
Erection date: 1892
Westminster Public Baths and Wash-houses
The united parishes of St Margaret and St John the Evangelist adopted the Act of 1846 on the 8th Jany. 1847 and purchased this freehold site and erected the former building thereon. These baths and wash-houses were rebuilt AD 1892 upon an enlarged site.
Z. A. Berry
C. F. Danielli
H. O. Hamborg
W. L. Josephs
C. C. Piper
G. W. Tallents
F. J. Smith FRIBA - Architect
Stimpson & Co - Builders
J. C. F. Warrington Rogers - Clerk
This stone was laid by C. C. Piper
Seems likely that the F. J. Smith is the same architect as the one who built Caxton Hall with William Lee.
Site: Wash-house foundation stone (1 memorial)
SW1, Great Smith Street, Westminster Archives Centre
The foundation stone is immediately to the right of the entrance.
The second floor bay window has some lovely relief work by Henry Poole showing swimmers - naked classical Greek young men. Ornamental Passions has good photos of these. Bas relief is not the ideal medium for showing bodies underwater.
In the 1990s the baths were replaced with the Westminster Archives Centre, a community centre and meeting space called the Abbey Centre. Historic England has an 1893 photograph.