Plaque: Octavia Hill - moved
Octavia Hill 1838 - 1912 housing reformer lived here.
London County Council
Plaque from 8 Fitzroy Street W1 a former home of Octavia Hill demolished in 1961.
A pioneer of housing management, Octavia Hill managed London property for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners from 1884 to 1912.
The plaque is located on the first floor of the building and is not on view to the general public. It appears to have been erected when the Church Commissioners were based here. They moved elsewhere in 2007, leaving the plaque behind, as it was protected as a built-in fixture of a Grade 2* listed building. The House of Lords now uses the premises.
Our colleague Alan Patient was fortunate enough to gain access to the building in the course of his choral activities.
We see no reason why the plaque (with its explanatory plaque) could not be attached to the building now on the site: a 1960s brick building on the the east corner of Fitzroy Street and Maple Street.
Site: Octavia Hill - moved (1 memorial)
SW1, Millbank, 1
This Arts and Crafts building was designed by William Douglas Caroe for the Church Commissioners in 1903.