Tom Cribb was the British bare-knuckle boxing champion between 1809 and 1822 and had his first fight in 1805 after returning from the navy, Cribb became a coal porter at Wapping and was known by the nickname "The Black Diamond", it was using this ring name that Cribb won his first fight after 76 rounds, the pub which appears to date from the early 1900's was widely known as "Cribb's Parlour" and featured in M.W. Thackeray's Vanity Fair and was also referred to by Arthur Conan Doyle in Rodney Stone as "Tom Cribb's Salon", it's (sic) name was officially changed in 1960 in his honour.
Site: Tom Cribb Public House (3 memorials)
SW1, Panton Street, 36
The Richmond plaque can be seen in our photo, between the lamppost and the two blackboards.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk