mobile nav


The Adelphi The Adelphi

Plaque: The Adelphi


The Adelphi
This building stands on the site of Adelphi Terrace built by the brothers Adam in 1768 - 1774. Among the occupants of the Terrace were Topham and Lady Diana Beauclerk, David Garrick, Richard Doyle Carte, Thomas Hardy & George Bernard Shaw, The London School of Economics and Political Science and the Savage Club also had their premises here.
LCC 1951

Site: The Adelphi (1 memorial)

WC2, Adelphi Terrace

The original Adelphi was a large development, even in modern terms. Most of the streets were named after the Adam brothers as was the whole Terrace since Adelphi is Greek for 'brothers'.

The river-facing row of houses known as Adelphi Terrace was replaced with this large modern block, The Adelphi, in 1938, designed by Stanley Hamp of Collcutt & Hamp.

The four giant allegorical relief figures on the corners of the Embankment front are, listed west-east: 'Dawn' -  Bainbridge Copnall; 'Contemplation' - Arthur J Ayres; 'Inspiration' - Gilbert Ledward; 'Night' - Donald Gilbert. Some other sculptural work is by Newbury Abbot Trent.

More information at Historic England.

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
The Adelphi

Information Subjects commemorated

Show all 10

Adam brothers

The four Adam brothers: John (1721-1792, born Edinburgh), Robert - the import...

Read More

London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)

Founded by the four Fabians: Beatrice and Sidney Webb, Graham Wallas and Geor...

Read More

Savage Club

A gentlemen's club, now in Whitehall Place, with its own website. Had premis...

Read More

Lady Diana Beauclerk

Lady Diana Spencer was born in 1735, the eldest child of the third Duke of Ma...

Read More

Topham Beauclerk

See Lady Diana Beauclerk for some information.

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
The Adelphi

Information Created by

London County Council

Prior to the LCC London matters were run by church parishes. The LCC was the ...

Read More