Plaque: Temple Bar - Theobalds Park
This plaque marks the site of Temple Bar designed by Sir Christopher Wren, the only surviving gateway to the City of London, which Sir Henry Meux had acquired and had re-erected on this site as the entrance to his park and mansion house in 1888.
In 1976 Sir Hugh Wontner formed the Temple Bar Trust with the intended wish of returning Temple Bar to the City of London from Theobalds Park and in 2002 the Corporation of London took over the project to complete the return of Temple Bar to the City, where it was formally opened on 10 November 2004 by the Lord Mayor of the City of London, Alderman Robert Finch.
Temple Bar can now be seen as the entrance to the new Paternoster Square near to St Paul’s Cathedral.
Site: Temple Bar - Theobalds Park (1 memorial)
EN7, Theobald's Lane, Theobalds Park
This memorial to the arch is on the lawn beside the approach road to the manor house.