mobile nav

Memorial

Steve Fairbairn Steve Fairbairn

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

Obelisk: Steve Fairbairn

Erection date: 1962

Inscription

{Medallion on an obelisk, with a portrait:}
Steve Fairbairn, 1862 1938.

{Plaque beneath medallion:}
This memorial commemorates the centenary of Steve Fairbairn, famous oarsman and coach, founder of the Head of the River Race. Erected by members of Jesus College Cambridge, Leander Club, London and Thames Rowing Clubs. It is exactly one mile from the start of the University Boat Race course.

Site: Steve Fairbairn (1 memorial)

SW15, Putney Towpath Embankment

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Steve Fairbairn

Information Subjects commemorated

49869

Head of the River Race

Rowing race from Mortlake to Putney. Founded by Steve Fairbairn.

Read More

49689

University Boat Race

A race on the River Thames, now run annually between Oxford and Cambridge uni...

Read More

49688

Steve Fairbairn

Oarsman and rowing coach. Born Stephen Fairbairn at Toorak, Melbourne, Austra...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Steve Fairbairn

Information Created by

49691

London Rowing Club

Founded in 1856, for the purpose of winning medals at The Henley Royal Regatt...

Read More

49690

Thames Rowing Club

Founded as 'The City of London Rowing Club'. It was a pioneer in women's rowing.

Read More

49694

Jesus College Cambridge

Founded on the site of a Benedictine nunnery, by John Alcock, Bishop of Ely. ...

Read More

49693

Leander Club

Founded in 1818, it is the world's oldest rowing club.  based in Henley on Th...

Read More