Plaque: Staple Inn Hall
Staple Inn Hall, built in the 16th Century, stood on this site until destroyed by a flying bomb on the 24th August 1944.
The Hall was rebuilt in its original form in 1955, incorporating timber & other materials saved from the old building.
Site: Staple Inn Hall (2 memorials)
WC2, Staple Inn courtyard
The well memorial is difficult to see in our photo. It's laid into the flint cobbles in front of the bench.
London Gardens Online gives: "A well and pump in the courtyard provided the Inn with particularly pure water from underground springs, reportedly having medicinal qualities. This was the main water supply until 1922, when the well was filled in, as recorded on a paving stone in the courtyard, its site initially marked by a tree."