From 1370 onwards, during the reign of Edward III, the site of St Mary's Somerset was the meeting place of the weavers of Brabant for the hiring of serving men.
Wikipedia explains: "According to John Stow, in 1370, the Brabant weaver community was ordered by the Mayor to meet in the churchyard of St Mary Somerset for the purpose of hiring serving men, following disputes with the Flemish weavers. The latter were ordered to meet a safe distance away in the churchyard of St Laurence Pountney."
Site: St Mary Somerset Church (4 memorials)
EC4, Lambeth Hill, St Mary's Somerset Church
The wall plaque, for the tower, is on the south side. The other three are in the paved area around the tower, on three sides. 2013: The north side has been a builders' store area for at least 3 years so we can't see the ground but we don't think there is a fourth plaque there.
A modern information board informs: "This garden covers the site of St Mary's Somerset which may have derived its name in the twelfth century from one Ralph de Somery. In 1666 the church was damaged in the Great Fire of London and then rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren in 1695. In 1869-74 all but the church's 120 foot tower was demolished under the Union of Benefices Act."
As the population of the City reduced fewer churches were found necessary. Under the Union of Benefices Act over 20 churches in the City were demolished to make way for constructions such as railway stations.
We love the riot of finials and pinnacles on the top of the tower.