Plaque: St James's Residences
St James's Residences stand in an area first known as Knaves Acre. The original 17th century houses and courts survived until demolition by the Crown Estate in 1883. St James's Vestry urged that replacement buildings should provide small shops with accommodation above for the staff. St James's Residences built 1883-6 met this need. In 1978 the Soho Housing Association bought the flats and began a scheme of renovation to ensure the continued provision of good housing in Soho and the establishment of a family centre. The completion of work was marked on 7th September 1988 with an official opening by the ward councillors Mrs Lois Peltz and Dr David Avery.
1885 Robert Sawyer
1988 Westwood, Piet, Poole and Smart
Site: St James's Residences (1 memorial)
W1, Brewer Street, 23