St James's Gardens were built between 1847 and 1851 to the design of John Barnett, except for nos. 25-41 on the north side of the square which due to a shortage of funds were not built until the mid 1860's. The church of St. James, Norlands, was built in 1844-45 to the design of Lewis Vulliamy; but for the shortage of funds it would have had a spire.
Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
Gosh, there was a time when this area suffered from a 'shortage of funds'!
Site: St James's Gardens - construction (1 memorial)
W11, St James's Gardens
Norlands house and estate, on which this square was built, belonged to Benjamin Vulliamy and his family from 1791 until 1839, when it was sold for development and in 1844 Benjamin's architect son, Lewis, designed the church at the centre of the square. He was already well established but, still, perhaps this business for the family was part of the deal.