mobile nav

Memorial

St Andrews - charity girl St Andrews - charity scholars

Sculpture: St Andrews - charity girl

Inscription

{On the paper in her left hand:}
MDCXCVI {1696}

Site: St Andrews - charity scholars (2 memorials)

EC4, St Andrew Street, St Andrews Church - west door

Ward-Jackson's "Public Sculpture of the City of London" lets us tell you... St Andrew's Parochial School was founded in Brook Market {possibly Brooke's Market, EC1} in 1696 (the date displayed by the girl) and moved to a chapel in Hatton Garden in 1721 where were erected 2 pairs of charity children. After WW2 when that building and this church were both restored following severe bomb damage a pair of the children were erected here. Dobbins Churches gives some information about the church.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
St Andrews - charity girl

Information Subjects commemorated

50921

Charity scholars

Looking at London has a page about these little blue people but even there we...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
St Andrews - charity girl

Information Also at this site

50706

St Andrews - charity boy

He reminds us of the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz. Right?

Read More