mobile nav

Memorial

St Andrews - charity boy St Andrews - charity scholars

Statue: St Andrews - charity boy

He reminds us of the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz. Right?

Site: St Andrews - charity scholars (2 memorials)

EC4, St Andrew Street, St Andrews Church - west door

Ward-Jackson's "Public Sculpture of the City of London" lets us tell you... St Andrew's Parochial School was founded in Brook Market {possibly Brooke's Market, EC1} in 1696 (the date displayed by the girl) and moved to a chapel in Hatton Garden in 1721 where were erected 2 pairs of charity children. After WW2 when that building and this church were both restored following severe bomb damage a pair of the children were erected here. Dobbins Churches gives some information about the church.

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
St Andrews - charity boy

Information Subjects commemorated

50921

Charity scholars

Looking at London has a page about these little blue people but even there we...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
St Andrews - charity boy

Information Also at this site

50707

St Andrews - charity girl

{On the paper in her left hand:} MDCXCVI {1696}

Read More