Plaque: Smithfield Fish Market opened
This market was opened on November 7th 1888 by the Right Honourable Sir Polydore de Keyser, Knt., Lord Mayor,
James Perkins Esq. Chairman of the Markets Committee
John Edward Sly, Esq. Chairman of the Central Market Sub Committee.
Site: Smithfield Fish Market opened (1 memorial)
EC1, Smithfield Market
Initially we thought this building was devoid of fishy symbolism. But then we found a dolphin keystone on the gateway in Snow Hill, sculpted putti riding dolphins above the gateway under the roof on West Smithfield and some mer-people in a relief panel at the junction with Smithfield Street. Enough to cover a fish-monger's slab.