Plaque: Smithfield Clock
Erection date: 1870
Corporation of London
London General Market
The clock above was set in motion on 11th January 1995 after renovation by the Corporation of London as part of the Central Markets Refurbishment.
Commissioned by the Corporation's then City Architect Horace Jones, the clock was first installed in 1870, two years after completion of the East and West Markets.
Jack Neary, Chairman, Central Markets Committee, Corporation of London, 11th January 1995.
The words come from a very dull modern plaque attached to the railings.
London Uncovered gives: "A four-faced drum clock by Thwaites & Reed of Clerkenwell was installed in 1870 and hand-wound for almost a century before conversion to electricity."
Site: Smithfield Clock (1 memorial)
EC1, Grand Avenue, Smithfield
This market was built with a railway system below through which the meat could be delivered. Caroline's Miscellany has an entry about it. Much of it is now used for car parking but the curved cobbled ramp (built for horse-drawn carts) remains and can be seen around the edge of the small garden to the south.