mobile nav

Memorial

Portuguese Embassy Portuguese Embassy

Plaque: Portuguese Embassy

Inscription

These two houses were the Portuguese Embassy, 1724 - 1747. The Marquess of Pombal, Portuguese Statesman Ambassador, 1739 - 1744, lived here.
Greater London Council

Site: Portuguese Embassy (1 memorial)

W1, Golden Square, 23-4

Behind these houses is a church which was first built as a Catholic chapel to serve this Embassy.

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Portuguese Embassy

Information Subjects commemorated

Marquess of Pombal

Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, 1st Marquis of Pombal and 1st Count of Oei...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Portuguese Embassy

Information Created by

Greater London Council

The GLC was abolished, some say, because Mrs Thatcher could not abide its lef...

Read More