mobile nav

Memorial

Parish Lock-up Parish Lockup

Plaque: Parish Lock-up

Inscription

Parish Lock-up
About 1730, this lock-up was built into the garden wall of Cannon Hall, where local magistrates held court. Prisoners were kept in this dark single cell until more lasting arrangements could be made for them. Soon after the formation of the police force in 1829, business was transferred to the Watch House in Holly Walk.
This lock-up is one of the very few left in London and is a D.O.E. listed building of historic interest.
Erected by the Hampstead Plaque Fund

{D.O.E. stands for the Department of the Environment}

Site: Parish Lockup (1 memorial)

NW3, Cannon Lane, 11

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Parish Lock-up

Information Subjects commemorated

46961

Cannon Hall

A Queen Anne mansion. The name probably refers to the whole estate at the ti...

Read More

50528

Parish Lock-up - Hampstead

Parish Lock-up About 1730, this lock-up was built into the garden wall of Can...

Read More

50528

Watch House in Hampstead

A watch house was an early form of local police station. Soon after the forma...

Read More

50532

Hampstead Police Force

British History Online provides a quite detailed history of the police force ...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Parish Lock-up

Information Created by

46620

Heath & (Old) Hampstead Society / Hampstead Plaque Fund

The Hampstead Plaque fund was set up, many years ago, by Ralph Wade and has b...

Read More