Kirkaldy Testing Works
This building was built in 1874 for David Kirkaldy (1820 - 1897). In 1857 Kirkaldy helped form the Institution of Engineers in Scotland and was the first person to set up a load testing machine for construction materials powerful enough to deal with the largest specimens. The original 48 foot long machine, able to apply a load of over 300 tons, is still in position here.
Site: Kirkaldy Testing Museum (2 memorials)
SE1, Southwark Street, 99, Kirkaldy Testing Museum
The Historic Southwark plaque is on the street frontage beside the less ornate entrance. The other, round, plaque is inside, high on the wall above the machine. In the pediment of the fancy entrance is the admirable rubric: Facts not Opinions.