Plaque: Hopton's Almshouses - right pier
Charles Hopton was born c.1654 into a wealthy merchant family and admitted in infancy to the Guild of Fishmongers. At his death in 1731 his will provided for almshouses to be built in the parish of Christchurch, Blackfriars, for poor, single men. By 1749, 26 cottages had been completed on this land, and have been occupied continuously since July 1752.
From 1988, 20 modernised cottages or flats have been available for men and their wives from the Southwark area. Donations from local benefactors ensured the survival of the original trust, created by our founder, Charles Hopton.
This plaque, spotted by our colleague Alan Patient, was erected in 2012, sometime between our first visit in January and Alan's visit in June.
Site: Almshouses & Charles Kingsley (3 memorials)
SE1, Hopton Road
Doesn't this picture of the alms houses just make you weep? A London Inheritance has a photographic analysis of how this area has changed.
The two plaques are on the entrance piers at the pavement edge, behind our camera. The water trough is located on the pavement outside the locked gates through which our picture was taken.