mobile nav

Memorial

Highgate School - Cholmeley House Highgate School - Cholmeley House

Plaque: Highgate School - Cholmeley House

Inscription

Hunc lapidem posuit Rogerus Gaskell Hetherington
Scholae Cholmeleianae et alumnus et gubernator
A.D. XVII Kal Nov MCMXXXVII
Ea spe ut discipuli iuniores suas ipsi aedes
fama et honore in posterum augeant atque ornent

{We think the Latin text tells us that Roger Gaskell Hetherington, who was an old boy of Highgate School and a school governor, laid the foundation stone on 17 Nov. 1937 in the hope that young pupils in the future will contribute to this house and increase its reputation.}

On the wall high above the plaque is the school shield. The scroll below the shield reads : schola Rogeri-Cholmeley Mil Highgate.

Site: Highgate School - Cholmeley House (1 memorial)

N6, Bishopswood Road, Cholmeley House

Highgate School was founded in April 1565 by Sir Roger Cholmeley, Chief Justice of the Queen's Bench, a few months before he died. Old boys of Highgate School are known as Old Cholmeleians.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Highgate School - Cholmeley House

Information Subjects commemorated

50534

Roger Gaskell Hetherington

President of the Institution of Civil Engineers; Treasurer and Chairman of th...

Read More