Gates

HGS residents killed in WW2 - gate

Erection date: 28/4/2001

Inscription

Memorial Gate, 1939 - 1945

From HGS Heritiage: "On 28th April 2001, a group of Suburb residents led by the Reverend Tony Spring formerly {sic}  opened a new Memorial Gate to Hampstead Garden Suburb civilians who lost their lives during the Second Wold War. This, with the inscription “Memorial Gate 1939-1945” on it, is situated at the top entrance to Bigwood where an old farm gate had originally been installed before the First World War (one old post still remains today). It is also along the boundary of the Bishop of London’s land which divided the parishes of Hendon and Finchley."

At the IWM we learnt that "The original gate of 2001 was vandalised" and that the gate was "rededicated" on 15 July 2004.

Site: HGS residents killed in WW2 - gate (1 memorial)

NW11, Temple Fortune Hill/Big Wood

This gate is at an entrance to Big Wood (and, yes, HGS does also has a Little Wood, but oddly neither is shown green on Google Maps).

The Big Wood information board and a leaflet provide the following information:

At the time of the Norman conquest the wood was likely to have been part of a much larger woodland area, gradually reduced as new fields were made.

In the middle ages the site was part of an estate called Bibwell in the manor of Finchley, which the Bishop of London had acquired about 704AD from the Bishop of Hereford as part of the Fulham estates and the church continued to own it until 1933.

The western edge of the wood formed part of the boundary between Bibwell and the Wyldes estate in the manor of Hendon. It became known as Wyldes and in the 15th century when Henry VI founded Eton College he gave Wyldes to the college, which continued to hold it until the beginning of the 20th century. They sold much of it to the early Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust for building the original part of the Suburb. Then in 1911 the HGS Trust took a 999 year lease on the area to extend the original suburb.

In 1855 the administration of the Bishop’s estates, including Big Wood, was taken over by the ecclesiastical commissioners. In 1933 The freehold of Big Wood was taken over from the ecclesiastical commissioners by Finchley District Council and remains with the local authority – Barnet.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
HGS residents killed in WW2 - gate

Subjects commemorated i

World War 2

Sorry, we've done no research on WW2, it's just too big a subject. But do vis...

Read More

Civilian deaths in London caused by enemy action

This page brings together all the memorials that we have for civilians killed...

Read More

Hampstead Garden Suburb civilians who died in WW2

The gate memorial was donated by residents to commemorate the 29 suburb resid...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Hobbs Gates

Hobbs Gates

SE11, Kennington Oval, Hobbs Gates

See Alpha Rail for a close-up photo of these lovely Art Deco gates during their restoration in 2013. "Significant changes were being made...

1 subject commemorated
Docwra memorial gates

Docwra memorial gates

EC1, St John's Square, Church of the Priory of St John of Jerusalem

We can't find any information explaining these gates but they were probably part of the 1958 post-war rebuild of the church and cloisters.

1 subject commemorated
St Dunstans gates - 1844

St Dunstans gates - 1844

E1, Stepney High Street

This small plaque is on the inner gate pier to the left of our photo. From London Gardens Online: "The old parsonage was demolished in 17...

1 subject commemorated, 5 creators
J. Dawbarn Young

J. Dawbarn Young

N6, Swains Lane, 107

The two plaques are inside the porch facing each other. The one to J. Dawbarn Young himself, facing north, seems better protected from t...

War dead | WW1
2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Leverton arch

Leverton arch

WC2, Flitcroft Street, St Giles Church

This 1800 arch was designed by one of the churchwardens at the time, Leverton, and was originally at the northern entrance on St Giles Hi...

1 subject commemorated, 7 creators