mobile nav

Memorial

George Green School - 1884 George Green School

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

Plaque: George Green School - 1884

Erection date: 1884

Inscription

The George Green Schools
Founded and endowed in Chrisp Street and Prestons Road by George Green Esquire of Blackwall, AD MDCCCXXVIII {1928}.  Placed under a new trust and rebuilt on the present site with the sanction of the Charity Commissioners, AD MDCCCLXXXIV {1884}.

{Below the central bay window on the main elevation some lovely almost free-standing lettering:}
The George Green Schools 1884.

Above this large, plain, plaque there is a small ornate stone with "G.S." on a shield surrounded with foliage, quite badly damaged. Which makes the plain triangle above this plain plaque even odder.

Site: George Green School (3 memorials)

E14, East India Dock Road, 155, National Skills Academy

This 1884 building was designed by Sir John Sulman. The bronze plaque is on the, hidden, east-facing side of the clock tower.

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
George Green School - 1884

Information Subjects commemorated

52390

George Green School

Founded by shipbuilder George GreenĀ as an infants' school, at the corner of C...

Read More

52352

George Green

Shipbuilder and philanthropist. Founder of a shipyard in Blackwall, which was...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
George Green School - 1884

Information Also at this site

71888

George Green - school centennial

This clock was presented by members of the association, pupils and other frie...

Read More

71894

George Green School - Clock

From VADS : "At the ceremony of presentation on Thursday 4 October 1928, the ...

Read More