Erection date: 2/10/1948
Metropolitan Borough of Paddington
This tablet commemorates the opening of this block of flats by Professor Sir Alexander Fleming, DSc, FRCP, FRCS, FRS.
2nd October 1948
Site: Fleming Court (1 memorial)
W2, St Mary's Terrace, Fleming Court
In our photo the plaque can be seen just above and behind the pedestrian's head.
Built before the Westway these flats would have felt much closer to St Mary Hospital in 1948 than they do now. That hospital is where Fleming worked and made his discovery but one feels there must be more than that proximity to explain why an aged scientist unveiled a plaque for the opening of some council flats.