Plaque: Fieldgate Street Synagogue
Erection date: 12/7/1959
Fieldgate Street Great Synagogue. Communal centre.
This foundation stone was laid by Mr Nathan Zlotnicki, President of the Synagogue.
July 12th 1959
Site: Grodzinski's bakery & Fieldgate Street Synagogue (2 memorials)
E11, Fieldgate Street, Fieldgate Street Synagogue
The Grodzinski plaque can be seen in our photo just to the right of the 'one way' sign. The synagogue inscription is on the cream upright between the doors. But a 2015 photo on Spitalfields Life shows that the Grodzinski plaque has been removed (leaving a ghost outline behind).
The synagogue and shop/bakery was bombed on 29 December 1940 and rebuilt reusing materials. The synagogue plaque suggests that this was not completed until 1959.
The new brick walls surrounding this building all belong to the London Muslim Centre.