Plaque

Evelina Children's Hospital

Evelina Children's Hospital
Evelina Children's Hospital

Erection date: 2004

Inscription

(In the circle at the centre of the ‘pediment’, with a trumpeting angel on either side:}
1869 – 1976

{The centre of the top section shows the building, labelled:}
The Evelina Hospital for Sick Children in Southwark

{This is surrounded by 4 portrait medallions, each labelled, left to right:}
Baroness Evelina de Rothschild
Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild
Lady Superintendent Alice Cross
Dr Arthur Farre MD FRCP FRS

The lower section carries the text:}
This plaque celebrates the founding of the Evelina Children’s Hospital, which was built on this site in 1869.  It commemorates the work of the founder, planners, doctors, nurses and staff, and all the generous benefactors and supporters during the hospital’s first 107 years.

The hospital was founded by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild in memory of the early deaths of his wife, Evelina, and their baby son.  The hospital was planned by Dr Arthur Farre, obstetrician to Evelina and the royal family.

The chosen site, Southsea Court in Southwark, was in one of the poorest districts of London, where children were stricken with disease, serious infections and undernourishment leading to many deaths. This new model hospital uplifted the spirit of the people, bringing to a deprived district the hope of fighting the ravages of childhood diseases.

In 1976 the Evelina moved to Guy’s Tower, Southwark, to unite with Guy’s Hospital Children’s Department. The old Evelina building was demolished and the area was converted into Mint Street Park.

AD 2004

Site: Evelina Children's Hospital (1 memorial)

SE1, Southwark Bridge Road

The wall in the photo is the remains of the front wall of the hospital building.  Compare it with the picture of that building - you can see the semi-basement window cavities between the recycling bins.  Historic Hospital Admissions Project have a very informative page for this hospital.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Evelina Children's Hospital

Subjects commemorated i

Evelina Hospital for Sick Children

The Evelina Children's Hospital was founded by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild ...

Read More

Lady Superintendent Alice Cross

Matron.  Trained at St Bartholomew's Hospital.  Appointed in 1879 to lead the...

Read More

Dr Arthur Farre

Eminent obstetrician and physician extraordinary to Queen Victoria.  Born Cha...

Read More

Baroness Evelina Gertrude de Rothschild

Evelina Gertrude de Rothschild was born on 25 August 1839 the second of the f...

Read More

Baron Ferdinand James Anselm de Rothschild

Art collector, politician and philanthropist.  Austrian nobleman born Paris, ...

Read More

Show all 6

Nearby Memorials

Anchor / Barclay Perkins Brewery

Anchor / Barclay Perkins Brewery

SE1, Porter Street

Johnson was a good friend of the Thrales who owned the Anchor Brewery which once occupied this site. We've read that this image was the ...

2 subjects commemorated
Great Exhibition - Hyde Park - entrance

Great Exhibition - Hyde Park - entrance

SW7, South Carriage Drive

The information board you can see in the photo has a plan showing the location of the 5 different plaques that commemorate the Great Exhi...

3 subjects commemorated, 2 creators
Robert Adam

Robert Adam

W1, Fitzroy Square, 36-38

Robert Adam, 1728 - 1792, architect.

1 subject commemorated
Bakers Chop House

Bakers Chop House

EC3, Change Alley

The history of this area (with a plan!) is given in a leaflet published in 1969 by Martins Bank, who were taken over by Barclays at that ...

1 subject commemorated
George Bentham

George Bentham

SW1, Wilton Place, 25

George Bentham, 1800 - 1884, botanist, lived here, 1864 - 1884. Greater London Council 

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator