Besso/Onyx House, Mile End Road
In 1891 C. R. Ashbee, architect and founder of the Survey of London, set up the workshops of the Guild of Handicraft in Essex House which formerly stood on this site.
Historic Buildings of Bow
Site: Essex House - E3 (1 memorial)
E3, Mile End Road, Onyx House
As one might guess from the tatty state of the plaque this 1985 building has had a number of names in its short life, including: Kentish House, Besso House, Onyx House. Since then it has housed Eden College.
Spitalfields Life has a post on C. R. Ashbee with lots of great images of the Guild.