Plaque: E. C. H. Rowland
E. C. H. Rowland
The Surrey County Cinema (later the Gaumont) opened on this site in 1921. E.C.H. Rowland became general manager after the great war. Once a music hall artist, he is best remembered for his war time songs. The most famous being "Mademoiselle from Armentieres".
Heritage in Sutton
Sutton Leisure Services
Site: E. C. H. Rowland (1 memorial)
SM1, High Street Sutton, Times Square Shopping Centre
Andrew Behan informed us that the plaque was originally laid into the ground just outside the entrance but it was being worn by the heavy footfall so in 2014 it was renovated put back in the same place, which is when Andrew took the photo showing it still marked out by masking tape. By the time we visited in June 2019 it had been moved to the wall inside, which is where we photographed it.
Comparing the photograph of the cinema with the photo of the entrance to the shopping centre - doesn't look like anything has survived.