Plaque

Camp Griffiss, Block C, SW corner

Camp Griffiss, all - Block A, NW corner
Camp Griffiss, Block C, SW corner

Erection date: 6/6/1994

Inscription

{On the left side:}
This is the site of the south west corner of "C" block, Camp Griffiss. C Block was the Supreme Headquarters of the Allied Expeditionary Force.
{On the right side: a Stars and Stripes above a Union Jack.}

Site: Camp Griffiss, all - Block A, NW corner (15 memorials)

TW11, Bushy Park

There were 16 of these open-book style ground plaques, marking the corners of blocks A - D, the 4 main large blocks of buildings in WW2 Camp Griffiss. We found a very helpful document from the Friends of Bushy and Home Park, which tells that the plaques were unveiled on 6 June 1994 as part of the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the D-Day landings.

Block A was the first to be completed and became the headquarters of the US 8th Air Force under General Spatz when he arrived in June 1942. Block B was completed soon after block A and initially became the headquarters of the 8th Air Force Service Command, dealing with maintenance, supply and ancillary services. Service Command personnel were housed in the former Kings Canadian School at Upper Lodge in the north-west corner of the park where upgraded facilities housed 1,000 men.

Block C housed three functions: the western end housed the officers’ mess fitted out by Bentalls of Kingston. The office of Air Marshall Tedder, the Deputy Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force was in the north-east corner, SHAEF having moved into Camp Griffiss in January 1944.

The office of the Supreme Commander, General Eisenhower, was in the south-east corner of the block and here D-Day was planned.

Block D was the last of the four blocks to be completed, being ready for occupation on 13 March 1943.

The inscriptions on the plaques for blocks A, B and D are all the same, other than the “.. north east corner of ‘A’ block ..” sections. The inscriptions on the plaques for block C are all the same, other than the “.. north east corner ..” sections.

London Remembers’ seven-strong team of hardened plaque-hunters spent a happy Sunday afternoon surveying the Camp Griffiss site, finding and photographing 14 of the supposed 16 open book plaques. At the location where we expected to find the plaque for block D south-west corner, we found a deep hole about the right size and shape to have held a plaque. Did a sink hole eat the plaque or did someone nick it? Either way it was the low-point of the day.

The other location where we failed to find a plaque was block C, south-east corner. This is where the SHAEF memorial was placed, the inscription of which contains: “On this spot stood the office of General Dwight D Eisenhower …”. We think the organisers of the commemorations of the 50th anniversary of D-Day decided that they would place the SHAEF memorial at this spot instead of just one more open book plaque. It would be interesting to know if the open book plaque was made, and if so, where it ended up.

Our pin for Camp Griffiss is at the location of the north-west corner of block A. This is the first plaque you come across if you approach the site along the path from Chestnut Avenue. Given that one of the plaques has already gone missing we decided not to assist other thieves by plotting all the plaques for them.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Camp Griffiss, Block C, SW corner

Subjects commemorated i

Normandy Landings / D-Day

The landings, also known as Operation Neptune, were the landing operations in...

Read More

Camp Griffiss / Widewing

WW2 US military base in Bushy Park named after the first American aviator kil...

Read More

SHAEF, Supreme Headquarters of the Allied Expeditionary Forces, WW2

Much of the planning for D-Day was carried out at Norfolk House. Eisenhower a...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Camp Griffiss, Block C, SW corner

Also at this site i

Camp Griffiss, Block A, NE corner

Camp Griffiss, Block A, NE corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the north east corner of "A" block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block A, NW corner

Camp Griffiss, Block A, NW corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the north west corner of “A” block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block A, SE corner

Camp Griffiss, Block A, SE corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the south east corner of “A” block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block A, SW corner

Camp Griffiss, Block A, SW corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the south west corner of “A” block, C...

Read More

Camp Griffiss, Block B, NE corner

Camp Griffiss, Block B, NE corner

{On the left side:} This is the site of the north east corner of "B" block, C...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Twinned with Amsterdam

Twinned with Amsterdam

EC2, Liverpool Street , Liverpool Street Station

The two stations are at either end of the Dutchflyer rail-ferry service, via Harwich.

2 subjects commemorated
St Matthias Stoke Newington war memorial - plaque

St Matthias Stoke Newington war memorial - plaque

N16, Wordsworth Road, St Matthias Church

While almost devoid of decorative elements this plaque is extremely legible and long-lasting with lettering that is a pleasure to read (n...

War dead | WW1
194 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts

Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts

SW1, Tufton Street

The plaque is dull compared with this relief showing the expectant natives reaching out to the Gospel-bringer in his ship with puffed up ...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Swinburne House

Swinburne House

E2, Roman Road, Swinburne House

Apart from the architect the names on this plaque are the same as those on the Diss Street plaque.

18 subjects commemorated, 2 creators
Otto Schiff

Otto Schiff

WC1, Tavistock Square, Woburn House

Otto Schiff, CBE, 1875 - 1952, founder and director of the Jewish Refugees Committee, which was based here, 1933 - 1939. Erected by The A...

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator