Underground Heritage Information
Bow Road Station
Listed as a building of national significance
Architect: C A Brereton, 1902
The station was built for the Whitechapel & Bow Railway, which allowed the District line to be extended from Whitechapel out into the growing eastern suburbs. The simple brick and timber building, set above the railway cutting is typical of an Edwardian station. The platforms, situated where the railway emerges from the 'below street' tunnel to the surface, is notable for the brick retaining walls and the massive cast iron columns, set along the curved platforms, that support the roof structure with their brick lined 'jack arches' above the tracks.
Site: Bow Road Underground Station (1 memorial)
E3, Bow Road
The plaque is inside the station foyer.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of plaquesoflondon.co.uk