Plaque

Bankers Clearing House - 6

Bankers Clearing House
Bankers Clearing House - 6
Inscription

{3 shields, from the top down:
- anchor (Glyn, Mills & Co)
- blank
- 2 bars + 7 dots (District)}

Site: Bankers Clearing House (7 memorials)

EC4, Lombard Street, Post Office Court

At the north end of Post Office Court, attached to the west wall adjoining St Mary Woolnoth, are six salvaged carved panels. We have numbered these left to right and top down. They can all be seen in our photo, all but number 7, a fruity capital, which is behind the camera, down on the ground and predictably, damaged.

The Bankers Clearing House was on this site 1833 - 2001. Many of these sculptures reference the various banks that were members of the clearing bank system and our identification task was greatly eased by Martin’s Bank.

Geograph have a photo and quote the City of London: "These sculptures elements were installed here in 2003/4. They were decorative elements of the building previously on the site at 10-15 Lombard Street/ 83-36 King William Street and it was a condition of the planning permission to demolish the building and build a new one that this stonework was salvaged and reinstated as part of the development. The stone panels were previously over doors and entrances to passageways across the site. The previous building on the site was a Portland stone clad building constructed in 1938/40, which was designed by Whinney Son and Austin Hall." Surely Whinney, Son and Austen Hall is meant.

It would be good to know which banks were in the Bankers Clearing House at the start of WW2, since, presumably, they would all have been represented in the architectural sculpture on the building erected at that time. We cannot find a list of that date but Martin's Bank have the list as at 1962. It has eleven names: Barclays; Coutts; District; Glyn, Mills & Co; Lloyds; Martins; Midland; National; National Provincial; Westminster; Williams Deacon's. Three of these are not represented by their symbols in the sculptures: Lloyds (horse); Martin's (grasshopper + liver bird); Westminster (river, flowers, portcullis). All three were members of the Clearing House much earlier than 1940 so it seems very likely that they would have been represented on the walls of this building, and there may have been other clearing banks at that time who were also represented. It's not surprising that some sculptural elements are probably lost.

At the south end of this Court is a piece of architectural sculpture relating to the GPO buildings that were also on this site.

Spitalfields Life has a 1956 photo of St Mary Woolnuth showing a steel framed building being constructed behind. Perhaps this is the building from which this sculpture came.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Bankers Clearing House - 6

Subjects commemorated i

Bankers Clearing House

Cheque & Credit Clearing Company (or, in the form of a booklet) is very h...

Read More

District Bank

Founded as Manchester and Liverpool District Bank. Name shortened to District...

Read More

Glyn, Mills & Co. Bank

Founded in London as Vere, Glyn & Hallifax. Name changes: c.1780 Glyn, Ha...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Bankers Clearing House - 6

Also at this site i

Bankers Clearing House - 1

Bankers Clearing House - 1

{3 shields, from the top down: - Bishopsgate arch (National Provincial) - dot...

Read More

Bankers Clearing House - 2

Bankers Clearing House - 2

The VR monogram must refer to the monarch at the time the Bankers Clearing Ho...

Read More

Bankers Clearing House - 3

Bankers Clearing House - 3

The monogram is TC followed by CT written backwards, part of Coutts's symbol,...

Read More

Bankers Clearing House - 4

Bankers Clearing House - 4

This panel refers to no bank. It references Peace, a common wish, but since t...

Read More

Bankers Clearing House - 5

Bankers Clearing House - 5

{Dragon/griffin with lightening bolts, stomping on a stag}

Read More

Nearby Memorials

RNH - Philip Hill

RNH - Philip Hill

N7, Manor Gardens, Royal Northern Gardens

In 1997, as a condition of developing the RNH site, Bellway Homes (the developer) was required to create one acre of public open space - ...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
British Association of Dermatologists

British Association of Dermatologists

W1, Fitzroy Square, 4

Robert Willan was the founder of dermatology in Britain, so it's fairly certain that the house is named after him.

1 subject commemorated, 2 creators
Walter Macqueen-Pope

Walter Macqueen-Pope

N10, Etheldene Avenue, 33

Walter J. Macqueen-Pope 1888 - 1960 theatre manager and historian lived here. Historic Buildings of the London Borough of Haringey

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Hay's Wharf war memorial

Hay's Wharf war memorial

SE1, Queen's Walk

To the memory of those members of the staff of the proprietors of Hay's Wharf who lost their lives in two great wars, MCMXIV - MCMXVIII, ...

4 subjects commemorated
Mosaic House, front - Secret Society of Super Villain Artists

Mosaic House, front - Secret Society of Super Villain Artists

W4, Fairlawn Grove, 4-6

This is smaller than most plaques and made to look like it has been stamped in sealing wax. The Roman year translates as 1921 (the year t...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator