Plaque: Archbishop Amigo Jubilee Hall
Age pro viribus
1888 - 1938
The Latin translates as "Work with all your might" and we think this may have been Archbishop Amigo's adopted motto.
Bishop Peter Amigo was ordained in 1888 and in 1938, in recognition of the golden jubilee (50 years), Pope Pius XI "conferred upon him the personal title of Archbishop". This quote is from the church's website and we understand it to mean that the title was an honorific.
Site: Archbishop Amigo Jubilee Hall (1 memorial)
SE1, Lambeth Road, Archbishop Amigo Jubilee Hall
This 1914 map shows the site before the hall was built. Barbel Street, running parallel to St George's Road but on the other side of the church, was lined with terraced housing.
From St George's Cathedral: "Land adjacent to the cathedral had been bought on the corner of Lambeth Road and Barbel Street. Five houses in Barbel Street were demolished and work started early in 1939. The new hall was blessed and opened by Archbishop Amigo on 3rd February 1940."