Plaque: Anna and Samuel Morris
This site was donated by William Henry Morris in memory of his parents Alderman Samuel Morris JP, Freeman of the Borough of Doncaster, and Mrs Anna Morris, Mayor and Mayoress of Doncaster in 1921 and 1937.
Site: Anna and Samuel Morris (2 memorials)
E1, Beaumont Grove, Stepney Community Centre, 2-8
The Morris inscription is on one of the panels of slate which can be seen in our photo, on the back wall of the porch. We cannot find the other plaque but it does give us a date for the building and probably for the Morris plaque as well, and it suggests that the Morris family was Jewish and that the site was given to the Jewish community in Stepney.