On the 7th January 1928 the abnormal flood reached this height ->
Brentford & Chiswick U.D.C.
Site: St Nicholas, Chiswick (3 memorials)
W4, Church Street, St Nicholas church
Referring to our photo: the text of the war memorial is below the feet of the crucifix. Bedford's plaque is on the east wall of the church facing the road, around the corner behind the tall white bollard. The plaque about the flood is low down, immediately to the right of the entrance through which the purple-haired lady has disappeared (we were a bit slow with the camera).
Seems odd to have a flood marker at ankle height but, of course, the road slopes down to the river, steeply.
The church have a page giving the history of the building: starting in 1181. Apart from the tower, it was rebuilt in 1882-4, architect, John Loughborough Pearson.