Plaque: Alexander Herzen
Erection date: 26/6/2013
Alexander Herzen, 1812 - 1870, operated the Free Russian Press from this building 1854 - 1856.
Site: Alexander Herzen (1 memorial)
WC1, Judd Street, 61
Herzen started his press at nearby 38 Regent Square (where Rodmell House now stands) in spring or early summer 1853. In December 1854 Herzen moved into what was at the time 82 Judd Street, but is now 61. By the end of 1856 the press had moved across the street to number 2, which is now an open space. In 1860 it moved out of Bloomsbury to 5 Thornhill Place, Caledonian Road, from where Herzen moved to Teddington.