A London livery company. Originally part of the Grocers’ Company, they separated when they were granted their own royal charter in 1617. The Apothecaries Act of 1815 granted them the power to license and regulate practitioners of medicine in England and Wales. The society is based at the Apothecaries’ Hall in Blackfriars.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk